This post originally appeared as an article in South African Airlines’ inflight magazine.
The backpack has come a long way, from backcountry hiking and now to the boardroom. Today’s no-nonsense business exec is toting an updated business backpack, tricked out with a padded compartment for laptops and designed to accommodate the mobile business traveler.
Compact, super lightweight and uber functional, the business backpack is loaded with features to ease the stress of travel – and even lower the cost. With many flying execs using a rolling upright as a carry-on bag, the business backpack is seen as a versatile “second” bag that flies for free.
The bags are not just for the younger set either. They’re finding broad popularity, as daily bags and multipurpose bags, for everything from business meetings to outdoor and urban adventures. Unlike traditional brief cases, these bags are not all work and no play.
As execs everywhere carry more electronic gear, business backpacks are ideal for the always-connected lifestyle. With intelligently-designed pockets and an incredibly practical layout, the roomy main compartment lets you store cables, adapters, discs, files, music players and electronic tablets in a highly manageable bag.
Of course, most business backpacks come equipped with a padded sleeve or compartment to store laptops and notebooks. The best of the breed are Checkpoint Friendly. That means you can open the bag and slide it through airport security without removing the laptop. Another innovative format lets you “side load” your computer into the bag for quick and easy access. Either way, moving through security is a breeze.
Cool new features
Today’s all-purpose business backpacks also come with cool nooks and crannies to handle an array of travel stuff.
A hidden iPod® earphone port allows you to listen to music while hiding electronics. Shoulder straps feature cell phone (or media) pockets, so your phone rings in the front strap and is easy to reach. Built-in eyeglass straps hold eyewear. Dangling over-sized key holders double as bottle openers.
Some new backpacks even come with a moisture-insulated beverage/food pocket to keep drinks cool and sandwiches hot for the next flight.
All the conveniences
To accommodate business travelers, business backpacks make it very easy to organize business essentials inside the bag. Look for a deluxe business organizer. By zipping open a large front pocket, you can store and find any accessory you need quickly — pens, business cards, keys, CDs, computer accessories. To complement the organizer, exterior accessory pockets can be used for bulky electronic gear, shoes or even an umbrella.
Business backpacks easily piggyback on rolling luggage. Elastic loops slip over the luggage handle to ensure a secure ride. But if you want to wear the backpack, wide shoulder straps are usually padded with non-slip neoprene for added comfort.
A staple for all backpacks is the water bottle pocket. Some are now hidden behind a zipper and double for storage of medications or personal items.
Built for long haul
Business backpacks are built from high-tech materials that ensure exceptional durability in a lightweight design. Tough ballistic nylon fabric with a water-resistant coating offers protection against moisture damage, stains and tearing. Also, large, ergonomic zippers and nylon coil zipper pulls ensure effortless opening and closing over the long haul.
Today’s business backpack is a synergy of intelligent design and lifestyle needs, a hallmark of Travelpro, one the leading brands of durable, lightweight, quality luggage. Today more than 500,000 pilots and flight attendants use Travelpro products, day in and day out. You can view Travelpro’s many rolling luggage and business backpacks on our website.
What are you carrying? If you’re a mobile worker, are you using a backpack or carrying a briefcase or satchel? Let us hear from you in the comments section.
When I say “business person,” what comes to mind? Probably someone carrying a briefcase.
You think of a briefcase because most business people carry a briefcase (a Travelpro Rollaboard Computer Brief, hopefully).
But a growing number of professionals are discovering the advantages of business backpacks. And not just young people, but savvy business travelers of all ages. They’re easier to carry, you can wear them to leave your hands free, and if you wear both straps, the weight is distributed evenly.
So, what five features do business people look for in a backpack?
- Generous Capacity: Travelpro business backpacks provide more storage space than comparable briefcases. Therefore, you can carry additional meeting materials or a change of clothes should your trip be extended.
- Convenient Laptop Storage: Travelpro business backpacks come with a padded compartment that accommodates up to a 17″ laptop, while protecting it and enabling you to retrieve it quickly. Our Crew 8 model is “checkpoint friendly,” because its laptop compartment opens like a door so the backpack can pass through security with the computer still inside.
Imagine breezing through a checkpoint by simply opening the compartment, laying the backpack flat on the conveyer, closing the compartment once it’s passed through the X-ray machine, and proceeding to your gate. Talk about convenience!
- Accessible Business Organizer: Travelpro backpacks feature a convenient business organizer and file storage, a ticket pocket that provides quick access to a wallet, passport, keys, and airline tickets, as well as a clever iPod port. Most of our bags also have a side-zippered water bottle pocket to keep you not only organized, but hydrated.
- Lightweight, Durable Construction: The Travelpro Crew 8 Business Backpack measures 8.5” W by 13” L by 17.5” H (well within airline size restrictions), and weighs only 3.3 pounds. It’s made of 1050D Micro Ballistic nylon fabric and has a padded back that absorbs moisture, provides cushion, and can take serious wear and tear.
- Ergonomic Construction – Travelpro backpacks offer wide, neoprene shoulder straps that comfortably distribute the weight between your shoulders. All models feature high-tensile-strength zipper pulls that ensure effortless opening and closing. Plus, the Crew 8 comes with our patent-pending Quick Loop that attaches the backpack to your rollaboard luggage.
Not all backpackers are nature lovers headed to the great outdoors. Many are business people headed to great success.